Saturday, May 20, 2006


I made a 'THING' today!
I have no idea what it's real name is but it doesn't know whether to be a necklace or a scarf I think.
I am not a knitter but a friend showed me one of these and when I next went to quilting class at the shop, they were selling the yarn and a free pattern for it and two others.
It is made in Sirdar Firefly yarn and I quite like it.
The pattern said to cast on 33 stitches, using the thumb method) onto 10mm needles. I did this and I thought it was far too wide and then ended up too short for me. It would be OK for someone skinny at that size though. I undid it (had to anyway as I dropped some stitches when casting off and couldn't pick them up again!) and restarted on 9mm needles tried 28 stitches... still too wide I thought... so I ended up doing 24.
You knit the whole ball of yarn in stocking stitch, then cast off loosely. You have a rectangle. Put one twist into the rectangle and then sew the ends up.
Voila! A THING!

I couldn't take a picture of it being worn, but I'll try to get Ann to wear it tomorrow and take one of her. It looks nicer on than off.

1 comment:

Digitalgran said...

What a lovely thing Dorothy!
I bought some of that yarn , thought it woukd come in useful in some project or other. Not knitting though(smile) I look forward to seeing Aann wearing it.