Friday, May 05, 2006


Hi There,
Today, I had adventures. I had to drive into London for a hospital appointment. It was a lovely day and for once the traffic wasn't too bad. Three interesting things happened on the journey.

1. Seed Dispersal.

Great demonstration of dispersal seed dispersal by wind power. I was driving along Du Cane Road past Wormwood Scrubs and also the A40 and the air was white with seed heads. I don't really know what they were but assume it was from the plane trees that line many of London's streets. They were looking particularly good today in their new green dresses.



2. The Future and the Present.

As I was driving, I was reminded of a picture of the future I saw as a child.... probably in a comic or something. Driving in along the A40 there was every sort of weird venicle imaginable on the road. Overhead there were several airoplanes... one huge one which was obviously going to land at Heathrow... it was very low in the sky, and several more distant ones glinting in the sun. There was also a big helicopter I think it was watching the traffic.
It struck me that this was just like the picture I remembered, except that one was predicting the future and here I was, in it!

3. Tulips Dancing

On a traffic Island in Wembley there was a lovely little vignette of the most beautiful tulips. They were the sort with really pointy petals and in gorgeous bright colours against a dark background. Lovely shapes. They had their little faces pointing to the sun and were wide open. The wind took them and they looked for all the world like they were dancing.

I wished I could have taken a photo but I was in traffic and there was no way that I could.
I looked for them again on the way back... but the sun was different and they looked much more ordinary.

Amazing the things you see on such a journey sometimes isn't it?

4 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I enjoyed that, so ordiary journey with you Dorothy. It became magical in your acount of it. I could just see those daffodils dancing in the sun.

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Glad you enjoyed the journey with me M. It was a particularly nice day as well as the traffic not being too horrendous so there was time to look around a bit.

Helen said...

ahh your a breath of fresh air when you remind me that there's such things to see everywhere. I "look" all the time, so much so that it seems to be all in my head, the beauty of it all. I'm glad you see it too. - makes it all the more real.

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Helen