Friday, September 07, 2007

Dyeing Masterclass





Here, at last are the pctures of my recent dyeing, which was done in a Ruth Issett Masterclass.
We managed to try out several techniques in the two days, all of which I enjoyed, even if some of MY samples were less than successful. (my fault not Ruth's of course).
We set about doing some baggie dyeing, having been asked to prepare twelve bags in advance, each containing six different fabrics. Mine were polycotton, smooth white cotton, callico, cotton scrim, cotton velvet and a silk/cotton mix I put them on the line in that order.
We then took four sets of three bags and dyed then with Procion MX dye mixtures of our own choice. On the first row I used ultramarine and rose brown in increasing quantities. Note that there are none with pure colour.
On the second row I used scarlet and rose brown.
The third row has scarlet and marine Violet.
The last row has Golden Yellow and Turquoise.


We also did two sets of low immersion dyeing . At the end of the first row is the one I did by adding the dye to the first piece of scrunched fabric, followed by soda ash. Then the next layer was done the same way with a different colour. Then I added a third fabric.
As you can see I didn't really add enough dye, but these can be overdyed I suspect.

At the end of the second row is the result when I added the soda ash to the dye before I dyed. This time it was pointed out that I didn't have enough in the first set so more was added. better result!
Painted Dyeing.


Next we did some painted dyeing. We had prepared some of the fabrics in advance by adding soda ash to them and then drying.
I found that the fabrics I added the soda ash to in advance gave a more blended result.

In the picture the bottom row had the soda ash added to the fabric before dyeing.
Each piece is a different fabric. Top row is cotton velvet, habotai silk, Sylco, white poycotton (which is not supposed to dye!), cotton organdie, silk and cotton delphine.


Bottom row is viscose satin, silk cotton, fine white cotton, silk cotton, coarse white cotton, and finally,callico.

This was fun session, although VERY hard work.

12 comments:

Digitalgran said...

What a wonderful array of colours Dorothy. i think they are very successful myself. You can always buy perfect, single colour fabric if you need it, but all those are much more interesting to work with. you have done such a lovely job of the bottom row, the way they blend evenly all the way up as you have added colour. It's also easy to tell you were once a scientist in another life. They are so well ordered. BTW lovely to have you blogging again.

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks M, that's very encouraging.
Dorothy

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

What a wonderful array of fabrics and colour! You must have a wonderful memory ( or is the scientific training showing?) I can never remember what I have done where - unless I make copious notes. Good to have you blogging again...i feel a strong urge to stitch into these... do you?

Best wishes

Maggie

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Hi Maggie, Thanks.... yes I would love to stitch into them and will in due course, however first, some of them will be printed on.
I did document them as part of the course and yes the scintific background does show! grin
Dorothy

Liz Plummer said...

Yummy colours, Dorothy! I love the painted ones especially.... such lovely deep colours.

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Liz. I went and bought a couple more dyes today!
Dorothy

Unknown said...

Hi Dorothy

I am as impressed with your blog as well as the fabrics. They look good hanging on the line.

Mine also bag dyed ones also came out patchy but they might improve once printed on during the next masterclass!

See you in November.

Jen

Unknown said...

Hi WONDERFUL colours :) Looks great all set out on the line :) Helen

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Hi Jen,
Thank you. I am really bad at keeping the Blog up to date... must try harder. I'm looking forward to the November class.
Dorothy

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Helen. I know you are an expert so I am glad you found it interesting.
Dorothy

Gill said...

Mouthwatering, Dorothy!

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Hi Gill,
Thanks. It was fun... errrm .. I think! I shall enjoy using them in due course.