Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm back now from my sojourn in Ferndown learning how to make little books. I really enjoyed it... especially after I asked the hotel to change my room as the first night was near a very busy road. I find that they quite often give the least nice of the double rooms to people who book a single!
Here is the view from my window overlooking the River Stour after they moved me... very peaceful. I couldn't get a really good picture as the window didn't open far enough.





I would love to do it all again having learned a little about how some of the effects are done. I made a start on three books.
One is a childs board book. I didn't use an old one but a new blank book. My theme for this one is daisies and I started by cutting a hole in the cover. This was originally intended to have something displayed in it but I might change my mind about that as I like what happened when I forgot to protect the page behind the cover before I painted it!
Here is a pic of it as it is at the minute but it will change. It looks a little darker here and you can't see the interference green overlay. It is going to have the word Daisy in little wooden blocks somewhere on the cover.




The second one is a pamphlet type using painted and stamped papers. This one is called 'Aspects of the Heart' and features some stamped words, a beautiful rubber stamp and some paper castings made from stamps.
The third is more like a folded pamphlet than a book and hasn't got very far yet. This one will display some of my odds and ends of samples. The reason it hasn't got very far yet is that I think I chose the wrong colours for the background and I need to reconsider.... I love the idea though.

5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I love your book Dorothy. how I wish It was easier to travel to the South of England. I'm sure you enjoyed yourselves with Maggie and came home inspired.

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Margaret. I did come home inspired. I'll show the rest of the pages when they are done.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time Dorothy,look forward to seeing your other books, the board book looks lovely

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Carol. I am itching to get on with it but my time is taken up at the minute with my piece for the Guild Exhibition... which I am struggling with. Mainly the mounting!

Downunderdale said...

it's great Dorothy - look forward to seeing some more pages

Dale